FOURTH ANNUAL SLIDELL BBQ CHALLENGE
Friday March 29, 2012 and Saturday, March 30, 2013
Olde Towne Slidell, LA
SLIDELL BACKYARD BBQ
ENTRY FORM $100
Make Checks Payable to:
Slidell BBQ Challenge
2242 Carey Street
Slidell LA 70458
Attention Andy Prude
Home KCBS Rules Sponsors
Vendors Map Schedule
Welcome to the Fourth Annual BBQ competition in Slidell! While the professionals are competing for the big money,
we want to invite you to compete for the "Best Backyard BBQ Team". You will be competing against your neighbors,
friends, and family.
You and your team will be competing in three categories: Ribs, Chicken, and "People's Choice". Ribs and Chicken will
be judged according to Kansas City BBQ Society guidelines, but the third category will be a "People's Choice Award".
The "Backyard BBQ" will be a BBQ contest for the BBQ enthusiast who wants to prove to his
neighbors and friends that he/she has what it takes to be the best of the best in our local
hometown competition. This event will consist of teams of amateurs cooking both chicken, pork
ribs, and people’s choice.
The Awards will be as follows:
1st, 2nd, 3rd place for
Pork Ribs, Chicken, and People’s Choice
1st place People’s Choice will receive $200
1st Place in Pork Ribs Category will receive $150
1st Place in Chicken will receive $150
Grand Champion will be the best overall score in the Chicken and Ribs Category
Grand Champion will receive a free entry into the Professional Division in 2013
No motorized vehicles allowed on the street.
- Entry fee will $100 to enter chicken, pork ribs, and people's choice.
- All meat will be inspected before cooking. The teams will be allowed to "prep"ribs and clean
chicken at home. All meats must be "unseasoned" and stored in separate containers, held at a
temperature of 40 degrees or below.
- After inspection, meat can be seasoned and/or marinated. Meat can be inspected as early as
- Cooked meats must be held at a temp. of 140 degrees or higher.
- No food or drinks are to be given or sold to the public. Only team members.
- Boxes will be provided for turn in of entries.
- Each box will have a team # and should have 7 (seven) separate and identifiable pieces of
meat to be judged. The extra piece is for the Table Captain.
- Turn in times will be posted. Cooks will have a 10 minute window (5 before; 5 after) the posted
time. The times are: 12:00 noon for Chicken; 12:30 Ribs. Make sure the judges have hot food to
- Awards will be given to the top 3 in the meat categories and the top 3 in people’s choice
category. Plus a "GRAND CHAMPION" award for the best combined score in chicken and ribs.
- No gas grills. Charcoal, wood, or cooking pellets only!
- After cooking, ash cans will be provided to dispose of all ash.
- Trash cans will be provided. Please keep Slidell and your area clean.
- All grill fires must be contained. No open fires on the ground. Use charcoal starter (chimney)
or start fire in cooker.
- Some water will be provided (by hose) and ice will be sold.
- A 10 x 10 foot cooking space will be provided.
- Decisions by the judges are final. A mandatory cook's meeting will be held on Saturday to go
over the rules and answer any question that you may have. All cooks will follow the same rules.
- NO PETS! Don't torture your dog with all that meat.
- Set up can start Friday, but there will be no security. We are not responsible for items left
unattended. Feel free to come set up your tent, listen to the music and enjoy yourself.
- Failure to follow "our" rules may cause your team to be disqualified. We want
everyone to have FUN and be SAFE.
Printable version of this page